Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Week 4 Readings

In the Database reading, it said that a database was a structured collection of records or data that is stored in a computer system. I am a little confused about the hierachial model and the network model. The thing that I am really hungup on is that the network model has members and sets. I thought that the network was like the internet that linked other systems together.

I understood the Metadata better as I took a crime mapping course in my undergrad classes. Metadata is data of data. It is usally used in geospatial work which is the placement of data, such as crime mapping.

The overview of the Dublin Core Data Model is the breakdown of the database. It is a bassically a database for all global infortaion possible. The recources are everything from weather forcasts to books. It describes the DCMI as a 'cross-discipline rescource discovery'. I think that this is a great invention but it seems to me that the internet does the same thing.

5 comments:

Petunia said...

I'm not sure if the Internet categorizes information in a metadata format. I think the primary motivation in developing the DCD model is to try to apply a uniform query format to the Internet, something we take for granted in libraries. For example (and this is just my interpretation of the situation) when you enter a word into a search, the browser will often pull up a lot of random things that are not related to your intended search. Metadata would provide you with a context to use so that when you look for a resource, it pulls up information specifically related to your intended definition of the word. Let me know if you got a different interpretation out of the reading or disagree. :-)

Anonymous said...

I agree with that reading of the DCD model as well. The goal seems to be to organize the information a step or two above what the internet provides. Not necessarily a list of results about the query, but detailed qualitative and quantitave information beyond that in addition.

Lauren Menges said...

I think the point of the DCMI is to create a uniform system of metadata that can be used across disciplines. The internet is often confusing because there is no systematic way of categorizing the information.

Kristina Grube Lacroix said...

Emily,
I was also a little confused about the difference between the hierarchical model and the network model. To me it weemed like the network model would be better, an possibly easier to use. The reading seemed to me that the network model linked things better than the hierarchical model, but maybe not as well as the internet itself.

Alesha said...

While I agree with Petunia and Lauren's replies, I can understand what Emily is saying. With the explosion of sites like wikipedia, etc., pockets of the internet are becoming more and more "structured" and are providing more and more accurate and relevant searches. Is this what you are saying , Emily?